ISO 22000 Certification
Food Safety Management Systems
Registration to ISO 22000:2005 Standard
Food safety is a worldwide issue. It becomes important when there is a peer pressure from consumers, retailers, social groups, and legislative bodies affecting the whole food supply chain.
The Answers is an Accredited ISO 22000 Registration.
USWC provides an ACCREDITED ISO 22000 registration. The USWC accreditation is from Dubai Accreditation Centre from Dubai Municipality (Govt. of Dubai).
What is ISO 22000:2005?
The International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) published in September 2005 the standard ISO22000 - Food Safety Management Systems - Requirements for any organization in the food chain.
There has been a continuous increase in consumer demand for safe food. This has led to the development of various food safety standards. The growing number of national standards has led to confusion. Consequently, there is a need for international harmonization and ISO aims to meet this need with ISO 22000:
The standard is complimentary to ISO9001, in that ISO 22000 addresses specifically the issues relating to food safety and uses an approach that can be integrated with that of ISO 9001. ISO22000 is not a replacement for ISO9001, however businesses in the food sector may see it as having greater commercial importance to their business than ISO 9001, particularly as there is increasing pressure on the food industry to demonstrate that it is effectively managing food safety, following the highly publicized food scares around the world.
ISO 22000 specifies how
- to carry out the hazard analysis,
- to design the HACCP plan
- to design the prerequisite programmes, and
- to decide which are operational prerequisite programmes
Potential of ISO 22000 - Harmonization could replace many of these GMPs
- GFSI GUIDE M & S System
- DS 3027 ISO 14001
- ALdi system EFSIS
- Kraft food system Euregap
- FAMI-QS ISO 9001
- Waitorose system IFS
- BRC-lop GMP Standard for corrugated and solid board
- AG 9000 Friesland Coberco FSS
- Dutch HACCP BRC-Food
- SQF GMP
- GTP Nestle NQS
- GMO Mc Donalds System
- Irish HACCP
ISO 22000 scope
- Specifies the requirements for a food safety management system where an organization in the food chain needs to demonstrate its ability to control food safety hazards in order to ensure that food is safe at the time of human consumption
- is applicable to all organizations, regardless of size which are involved in any aspect of the food chain and want to implement systems that consistently provide safe products. The means of meeting any requirements of this international standard can be accomplished through the use of internal and/or external resources.
Direct food chain/food production
- The primary sector - animal and game farming; arable farming; fruit and vegetable farming, and market gardening
- The processing sector - feed producers, primary food producers, food manufacturers, secondary food manufacturers
- The storage, catering and sales functions - wholesalers, retailers, food service operators and caterers
Indirect food chain/non food production
- Producers of pesticides, fertilizers and veterinary drugs
- Producers of ingredients and additives
- Transport and storage operators
- Producers of equipment
- Producers of cleaning and sanitizing Equipment
- Producers of packaging Materials
- Service Providers
ISO 22000 Requirements
- The standard specifies a number of key requirements, including
- Planning, implementing, maintaining and updating a food safety management system
- Identification of hazards and determination of risks to food safety using HACCP principles
- Compliance with applicable food safety related regulatory requirements
- Development and implementation of pre-requisite programmes and/or HACCP plans as a way of controlling food safety hazards
- Continual improvement and updating of the food safety management system
- Interactive communication with interested parties (enforcement agencies, customers, suppliers, consumers) on food safety issues
Application Management and assessment cycle.
- FSMS Pre Application Questionnaires
- The pre-application questionnaire, is designed to provide sufficient information to enable
- The preparation of a quotation
- Selection of the appropriate assessment team
- Determination of the readiness of the client for the start of assessment activity
Clients must complete the pre application questionnaire in order for USWC to develop a quote. All quotes are based on the risk levels of a client's processes and products.
The assessment cycle for the ISO 22000 system is 3 years. The mandatory assessments in the cycle are the Progress Review assessment (Stage 1) and Registration Assessment (Stage 2) assessments, Annual Surveillance assessments and Triennial Reassessment.
The Stage 1 principle assessment objectives are to confirm:
- That the application and scope of evaluation is correctly established
- That the client has adequately established and documented a food safety management system compliant with ISO 22000 prior to the stage 2
The Stage 2 assessment shall be carried out at the location where the production and manufacturing or other locations where the food safety management system is applicable. It must in addition include the location where the stage 1 assessment was carried out to ensure complete assessment of the ISO 22000 requirements.
The objectives of the assessment (stage 2) are to confirm:
- That the organization adheres to its own scope, policies, objectives, plans, processes and procedures
- That the food safety management conforms to all the requirements of ISO 22000 and is achieving the organization's policy objectives
During the first assessment cycle, Surveillance assessments:
- Are conducted on an annual basis
- All Operational PRP's and Critical Control Points (CCP) have been assessed
- All production lines and all sites within the scope of the HACCP based Food Safety
System have been assessed
The client has adhered to the USWC Management System's Terms and conditions in B018 of current revision.
These take place every 3 years and 2 months before the third anniversary of the Registration assessment
We value your Potential Queries
|Questions Solutions Is FSMS very complex to implement?||USWC's training courses can assist in understanding the requirements of FSMS and hence make its implementation highly efficient and cost effective|
|Is USWC's certification complicated or cumbersome in terms of disruption to my business?||USWC provides a well-planned, stage-by-stage audit program that can allow a sound, coherent and non disruptive assessment.|
|Can USWC help integrate my existing management systems with EMS ?||USWC promotes the integration of ISO9001, ISO14001 , OHSAS 18001 and ISO 22000. USWC's capability to deliver at local level in the relevant field and sector. USWC's policy is always consistent with local delivery. Indeed our policies warrant the need for local or national experts to participate in the assessments. Lead time from application to start of assessment and to receipt of certificate USWC is highly competitive and very efficient. For medium sized organisations, providing implementation is running smoothly, this could take less than 4 months. However, the standard approach is that as soon as a client has made up their mind to be assessed, they should apply.|
Would you like to speak to one of our advisers?